Cloverdale California

Go To Search
Follow Us Facebook Twitter
Accessory Dwelling Units
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a detached or attached dwelling unit of 800 or 1,200 square-feet (depending on lot size) or less and provides permanent, independent living provisions including sleeping, cooking, living and sanitation on the same lot as the primary dwelling unit.

A total of two (2) ADUs are permitted in any Zoning District on lots that contain one single-family residence. ADUs are not permitted on lots containing more than one single-family residence.

ADUs are required to be constructed in accordance with the development standards for Accessory Dwelling Unit listed here in Section 18.09.180.
The Accessory Dwelling Unit brochure provides a summary of the Development Standards for construction of the units.

Temporary Dwelling Units

In response to the 2017 Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino County wildfires, the City adopted an Urgency Ordinance on December 12, 2017 that allows vehicles generally used for human habitation to be parked on private property and occupied provided that certain requirements are met and a Temporary Land Use Certificate is issued by the City.

Outside of the Downtown Commercial (DTC) Zoning District, Temporary Dwelling Units (TDU's) can be parked in the driveway of a single-family residence or in a private parking lot of a commercial, industrial or institutional use. The TDU brochure provides a summary of Development Standards for the use of TDUs

A Temporary Land Use Certificate is required for all vehicles used as a TDU.  No fee is charged for the Temporary Land Use Certificate. The Certificate must be posted in a visible location on the exterior of the vehicle. An application for a Temporary Land Use Certificate to locate a TDU within the City of Cloverdale can be found here.

Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program
The City continues to partner with the Sonoma County Community Development Commission to offer low-cost loans for property repairs and rehabilitation to owners of single-family homes, mobile homes and multi-family homes.

Click here for more information on the Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program.

En Espanol aqui.

Fair Housing
The Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) enforces California laws that provide protection and monetary relief to victims of unlawful housing practices.

Click here for additional information and a brochure on Fair Housing laws.
En Espanol aqui.

Click here for additional information and answers to some frequently asked questions regarding Fair Housing laws.

Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California is an independent nonprofit providing varying levels of fair housing advice and services, as well as mortgage foreclosure prevention services to residents of Sonoma County, including Cloverdale.

Farmworker Housing
The City's adopted Housing Element instructs staff to provide technical assistance to developers seeking to provide affordable units for farmworkers in the City. Staff is happy to assist developers in the preparation of funding applications to programs such as the Joe Serna Jr. Farmworker Housing Grant program administered by the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD).
Please click here for more information on the Joe Serna Jr. Farmworker Housing Grant.

Energy Use and Conservation
Learn ways to reduce your homes energy needs and consumption with construction techniques and site planning such as passive solar home design and energy efficient lighting.

Sonoma County Energy Independence Program
 provides resources, rebates, incentives, contractors, and financing options to help property owners save energy, save money, and live comfortably.

Home+ offers cash rebates for your home improvements, plus certified contractors and support every step of the way. Rebates are available for eligible energy efficiency upgrades including air sealing, duct sealing, insulation, high-efficiency furnaces and air conditioners, high efficiency water heaters and more.

Bay Area Multi-Family Building Enhancement offers cash rebates and no-cost energy consulting for multifamily properties that undertake energy and water upgrades. The program assists in planning energy saving improvements designed to save 15% or more of a building's energy and water usage and provides $750 per unit in rebates to help pay for the upgrade.

Click here for helpful tips from the U.S. Department of Energy on saving money and energy at home.

PG & E provides the following helpful information on ways to save money and conserve energy at home:
Tips on saving energy in your home 
A step by step guide on smarter home energy use
Swimming pool pump efficiency fact sheet

The California Energy Commission provides the following information on ways to consume less energy:
Summertime Tips to Stay Cool at Home
Summertime Home Energy Saving Tips 
Summertime Energy Saving Tips for Businesses
Wintertime Home Energy Saving Tips
Winter Holiday Season Energy Saving Tips
Wintertime Energy Saving Tips for Businesses 

Kids can learn how to help reduce energy use at home with these helpful tips and information from
Home Energy Conservation for Kids  

Housing Programs
Click here to learn if you are eligible and how to apply for the CalHFA FHA Program, which is a first mortgage loan insured by the Federal Housing Administration.

Cloverdale City Hall
124 N. Cloverdale Blvd.
Cloverdale, CA 95425
Phone: 707.894.2521
Fax: 707.894.3451
Hours: M-Th, 8a-5p